Few food and drink companies have a heritage as rich as Princes.
Initially trading solely in canned fish, our move into manufacturing in 1946 kick-started our phenomenal expansion.
Owned by Mitsubishi Corporation since 1989, we have made 22 mergers and acquisitions in 26 years. This, and ongoing organic growth, has helped us continue to diversify and we are now one of Europe’s leading grocery suppliers.
- 1880 Founded in Liverpool by Simpson & Roberts
- 1900 Princes Pure Foods formed, Princes brand established
- 1946 Princes starts first manufacturing venture
- 1960 Princes enters continental Europe
- 1989 Mitsubishi Corporation buys Princes
- 1991 Princes enters the soft drinks category through the acquisition of Barraclough
- 1999 Princes acquires Mauritian tuna operation
- 2001 Princes acquires both the Shippam’s and Napolina brands/businesses
- 2004 Princes acquires water business and the Aqua Pura brand
- 2005 Princes acquires cooking oils brands and forms Edible Oils Limited (EOL) joint venture business. Princes establishes MC Foods Europe
- 2010 Princes opens Princes Polska office and forms joint venture business to expand distribution of oils in eastern and central Europe
- 2011 Princes acquires two East Anglian canning operations and the Crosse & Blackwell and Farrow’s brands
- 2012 Princes Industrie Alimentari S.r.L. (PIA) created and processing factory in Foggia Italy acquired
- 2015 Princes Tuna Mauritius (PTM) reaches agreement with Thon des Mascareignes (TdM) to create enlarged tuna processing operation in the Indian Ocean region.